IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Prevention

From: Randy Taylor <gnu () charm net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:02:16 -0500

Thanks Dave and Steve. That info just what I needed and
right on time.

I will be beginning evals of IntruVert soon, with NetScreen IDP to follow.
For functionality ("speeds and feeds") criteria, I am relying heavily on OSEC,
because the Neohapsis crew knows their stuff and nothing is hidden - all
the details are there in the criteria. IntruVert has been through OSEC - I
haven't seen a date for NetScreen set yet, so I'll be holding off their eval
until they've been through that process.

I'm looking at IntruVert for my project's Gig pipes, and NetScreen's IDP
for the sub-Gig pipes. I can't justify IntruVert's cost for anything under
Gig speeds yet.

Beyond that, I am looking for feedback on "human factors" issues,
such as scalability (ok that's a cross between technical and human),
manageability, ease-of-use, forensics capability, sensor/analyst
ratios, etc. for both IntruVert and NetScreen IDP. Folks out there using
either of these products, please feel free to email me directly with your
experiences with them in the real work world. I'd really appreciate
your input.

Best regards and happy holidays to all,

Randy

-----
"Go ahead and quit. We'll just hire dumber people to
replace you." -- Demetri Fanourgiakis, Security VP,
Enterasys Networks, Summer 2002. Yeah, this is
the guy that replaced Ron Gula. You may now boggle. ---