IDS mailing list archives

RE: ICSA [WAS: Re: Intrusion Prevention]

From: smarkle () icsalabs com
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:29:39 -0500

On 12/29/02 Greg Shipley wrote:
Over the past six years Neohapsis Labs has been testing products in the
security space, with the vast majority of our results appearing in Network
Computing magazine. Year after year we learn from our successes, and
mistakes, and roll that knowledge into our ever evolving testing
methodologies.  We tend to be leaders in this regard.  For example. the
careful reader will note that our documented testing methods in 1999
weren't mirrored by others until around 2001, and that our present-day
methods are quite a bit beyond what anyone else has done, to-date.

All - I have remained silent on this list for years. I am interested in
helping mature an Industry. That is what ICSA Labs does and IDS has been one
of my responsibilities since early 1999. After cutting through the stinging
criticism and saber rattling, I have chosen to respond only to the paragraph
above. Any vendor that knows the ICSA Labs testing methodology knows that
for over ten years we have perfected pass/fail certification testing with
evolving test methodology and criteria. We did this when everyone else
argued that it was the wrong approach. This is the standard, and it is in
fact the ICSA Labs approach that has been mirrored by other test labs.