Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Quiet

From: "Darden, Patrick" <Patrick.Darden () p66 com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:43:59 -0500

1.  Have any of you used the IPv6 IPSEC equivalent yet?  Tunnel or transport mode?  Vendor hardware?  Difficulties?

2.  I've pondered a cloud based service for web acceleration/filtering.  Perhaps it would use Riverbeds for bandwidth
optimization via compression, dedupe, etc....?  Anything like that out there?

3.  If it doesn't do WAP, then it's an old fashioned firewall--and quite possibly obsolete.  These days, the firewall
has to encompass the whole stack (except layer 8--the user).  I guess you could make specific cases like for networks
that don't exchange HTTP/S traffic.  But seriously, if your firewall doesn't understand the protocols it is passing, if
it doesn't enforce RFCs to some extent, if it doesn't do sanity checking on bounds, and true protocol inspection...
then what is it doing?  :-)

--patrick darden