Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DISA eliminating firewalls

From: "Gumennik, Mark J." <mgumennik () mitre org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:26:04 +0000

Take into consideration that DISA is a very large ISP and a huge bureaucracy. Firewall going away from ISP? - What else
is new? Big Bosses discussing things they don't understand with authority? - what else is new?
DISA has been trying to implement it ever since the AF installed a similar infrastructure, which lead to even more
firewall implementations due to segregation of functional networks (see the thread - Wi-Fi, phones, etc. need their own
firewalled sub-netting if you properly designed your networks)
Firewalls evolving into more and more complex devices, incorporating IDS, IPS, VPN concentrators, etc. etc., but we
still call them firewalls, whether it's packet filter or an app proxy (all vendors actually claim nowadays that they
can do both - hmmm...). Call them whatever you want, but the functionality stays. We all know that we can't fully
protect our networks no matter what we do; and the best we can do is to add layers of defense, not subtract them; and
the FW functionality is the main layer I can think of for a long time.
So sleep well Firewall Wizards, you job is safe and is a good one :)

      --    Mark