Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Query: Role of Firewalls within a SAN environment itself not just the periphery

From: david () lang hm
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Fetch, Brandon wrote:

Brian,
I think you may be missing a single key bit of information in your discussion - fiber channel (FC) layer 2 (L2) is
immensely different form Ethernet L2.
Yes, both protocols run IP "on top" (at layer 3) and both run on fiber but to be able to put a firewall and/or filtering
device between hosts, FC switches, or disk you're talking a whole different animal.

Not to leave specifics out of a reply to your question but the details would involve a rather lengthy post.
Suffice it to say that involving any sort of filtering on a fiber channel (FC) switch would seriously degrade disk
performance and by extension not be usable in a production environment.

that all depends on the latency that the filtering adds.

Though I'm not familiar with the specific documentation you were reviewing, I'd bet money the filtering they reference
is more for the management interface rather than the VSAN interfaces or physical ports themselves: limiting what hosts/networks
are allowed to connect/reach the device for management and via which protocols.

there are switches that you can configure what systems~ are allowed to access what devices at the switch level. These sorts of things are very course, and frequently just lock down what ports are allowed to talk to what other ports, but sometimes will go beyond that. With the proper hardware support in the switch they can operate at wire speed with very little latency (after all, they are only looking at the address, not the contents)

given that you can buy ethernet switches that can implement ACLs at 10Gb
wire speed, the fact that you can do 4Gb fiberchannel filtering of this type should not be a shock.

David Lang

The term VSAN is something of a misnomer (used mainly to provide an easily understood parallel to Ethernet) in that it's more of an L2
descriptor.  It's used to segment & identify the disk frames as they traverse the switch and to verify whether a specific world-wide-name
(WWN - think of it like an Ethernet MAC address) is allowed to speak on a particular VSAN.  I'm not sure if anyone's ever reported someone
successfully impersonating another's WWN while on a FC switch and successfully reading or writing to disks on the assigned VSAN.

Essentially where an Ethernet hosts (and switches) can "automagically" build their forwarding tables using ARP and rARP
requests or broadcasts, an FC switch will have to have these tables built statically by the operator.
This goes more to having absolute confirmation a block was received & written by a device (FC) rather than a system
being able to wait for timeouts or errors and possibly re-request the same information (Ethernet).

I hope that helps explain why you can't "firewall" a SAN.

Regards,
Brandon