Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:53:14 -0700

And the second point seems to be pretty valid. We have *NO* product that is a match for current "market
leaders".  It does not mean it is impossible: it is quite obviously possible, but we still do not have it.

Well, now I know that I missed the fw-wiz discussions of the list's
"golden years" :-)

In ArkanoiD's insightful rant, I am hearing "open source security
tools are dead." Is that really so? I doubt it - and here is why: I
think a lot of use cases for OSS sec tools are being dismissed by the
rant author as "cheapo crap." In reality, "cheapo crap" means "used by
everybody else but F1000"

For example, over the last few years, a lot of my blog traffic has
been driven by people googling for "open source SIEM" and "open source
log management." People are googling for this like crazy - this point
to an existing need for a free/OSS log management tools. Snort (IMHO)
and nmap are still in common use.  Web app firewall (WAF) has a lot of
open source action as well.

Now, is there a big "market" now for an open source network firewall?
Hmm, not so sure....

--
Dr. Anton Chuvakin
Site: http://www.chuvakin.org