Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hidden ISP firewall/filtering

From: "Craig Van Tassle" <craig () codestorm org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:42:27 -0500

Your best bet is to check with your ISP.

A good way to check is to setup a couple of servers on a box, put that
outside your firewall and then see if you can telnet to them. I would use
a box that you can wipe after you do this test.

I recently purchased a Watchguard XTM2 to handle our firewall and VPN with
IPSec, but when attempting to connect via VPN with IPSec, it gives a
message
of "VPN gateway not responding (waiting for MSG2)"  I have removed our
watchguard from the network and when I do a "shields up" scan it shows all
ports being closed.  Long story short . . . does anyone know if there is a
way to find out if our ISP actually has a firewall/filtering in place, or
b)
have any other thoughts.