Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPv6

From: "Orca" <klrorca () Hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:03:13 -0800

IPv6 is supported on most Cisco, Juniper, Foundry and and other major player gear for a while now. For Cisco almost all gear that supports IOS 12.2 onwards (and introduced in 12.0), so generally speaking, most company LAN environments need not spend a huge amount of money supporting IPV6 in your LAN, unless one built their corporate gear with cheap SOHO gear. Additionally Cisco ASA, Checkpoint, and Juniper firewalls all support IPv6. Most major DNS and DHCP vendors all support IPv6. Most major server/desktop OS also support IPv6.

Both the ACE and F-5 support IPv6 as well, for major load-balancers.

Here is a good list of features, series and IOS levels for Cisco Products: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-roadmap.html#wp1121383

I have been implementing dual stack IPv6 in two datacenters projects I designed in the last few years, one was for a Windows shop and one for Solaris/Red Hat shop, using Cisco, F-5 and Juniper gear.

In most cases it is not too difficult, and works readily with existing equipment, with maybe an OS update here and there.

Windows does allow removal of IPV6 from the IP stack, I am unsure what you mean about it making it "unsupported", there is nothing I could find from M.S. that states you must have IPv6 running in your IP stack for them to "support" your O.S.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Seymour