Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:56:27 -0400

One other point I always like to make--for outgoing traffic, if you use default:deny you do your part to stop a lot of
attacks that use forged IP.  Your network, at least, will not be a source.  E.g.

Outgoing Packets
Default: deny all SIP, allow only your assigned IP space, only ports X,Y,Z,P,D,Q.

Of course it is even better when you mate an SIP and a port (e.g. smtp to/from your smtp gateway/server).

--p