Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Handling large log files

From: Gyöngyösi Péter <gyp () balabit hu>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:00:14 +0200

(Disclaimer: I work for BalaBit, the company behind syslog-ng.)

Nate Hausrath wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a central log server set up in our environment that would
receive around 200-300 MB of messages per day from various devices
(switches, routers, firewalls, etc).  With this volume, logcheck was
able to effectively parse the files and send out a nice email.  Now,
however, the volume has increased to around 3-5 GB per day and will
continue growing as we add more systems.  Unfortunately, the old
logcheck solution now spends hours trying to parse the logs, and even
if it finishes, it will generate an email that is too big to send.
The others have given lots of useful tips about log handling, but if
you're just having perfomance issues with logcheck, you should have a
look at the db-parser feature in the new syslog-ng 3.0.

The best places to find out more about it are these blog posts:

http://marci.blogs.balabit.com/2009/04/db-parser-high-speed-log-message-parser.html
http://marci.blogs.balabit.com/2009/04/intorduction-to-parser-in-syslog-ng-db.html
http://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2008/10/syslog-ng-message-parsing.html

It's able to handle (that means, classify based on log message contents,
filter based on this classification and store or forward) this kind of
traffic on commodity hardware. A ready-to-use pattern database converted
from logcheck's regexp list and for Cisco PIX messages can be downloaded
from the website and it's quite easy to write your own rules (the blog
posts mentioned above contain good examples).

Peter