Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Coding a custom firewall manager for multiple firewall brands. Feasible?

From: plopz <minggyang () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I'd just recently got an extra job role as a firewall administrator and I'm
faced with a network that consists of multitudes of firewall brands (nokia,
sidewinder etc. ) bulging with almost 3000+ rules. The networks are also
segmented and structured in such a way that adding a new path from one host
to another services requires multiple entries into various firewalls that
are in the path. As the requests for new connectivity come in hundreds or
more per week, I feel that the current implementation is not really
scalable. (manual data entries into firewalls and fight-fire
trouble-shooting :(

I'd look at existing firewall managment tools such as solsoft, algosoft etc.
but they don't seems to cover some of the brands that we have. There are
also budget issues, red tapes, securities, stability etc etc issues from
third party vendor...

I'm contemplating on trying to code a custom firewall manager that is able
to handle the daily change request and push down the different rules into
the different brand of firewalls in our network. Do you guys think it's
worth the effort or acquiring a third party firewall manger is better?