Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

VPN and XP Firewall GPO settings

From: Paul Hutchings <paul () spamcop net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:30:49 +0100

Folks hoping for a little input here:

We have a Juniper SSL VPN that has Network Connect functionality. We have our Group Policies configured so that when onsite XP firewall is disabled, when offsite XP firewall is enabled.

It seems what's happening when people use the Network Connect functionality of the VPN is that XP is detecting that it has connectivity to the LAN and the domain controllers/DNS boxes and is switching from the "Standard Profile" to the "Domain Profile" and dropping the firewall, which is of course unacceptable (I accept it's behaving by design so it's not really a criticism of Microsoft).

What do people do to work around this kind of issue? I guess a group policy for laptops that enables the firewall even when on the domain is one option, and I've opened a case with JTAC in case I'm missing something on the SA config.

Thanks.