Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall rules order and performance

From: <lordchariot () embarqmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:04:25 -0400

I've done this in the past with professional test equipment like SmartBits
or Web Avalanche that was able to measure performance, latency, connection
rates, etc.

The challenge was establishing unique connections from multiple MAC & IP
addresses to emulate real endpoints, and not just alias multiple IPs on the
same NIC. Mostly because of the ARP process prior to making a connection.
It's a lot faster making 65,000 connections from 1 MAC/IP to another than 10
connections to 6,500 unique MAC/IP/Src/Dest combinations.
The test gear could simulate real hosts with unique MAC & IP addrs.

We tested 1, 10, 100, 1000 & 10000 rules, all with different IP/port
combinations. UDP & TCP with different packets sizes, etc.

I was representing a now defunct product at the time, but the product faired
pretty well because the rule matches where a tree lookup to select the rule.
The overall difference between number of rules on our product was pretty
negligible, but it did a lot better than checkpoint at the time.

AIR, the rule selection wasn't the bottleneck, the number of already
established connections in the kernel was the primary factor. You'd plateau
after a certain point as new connections were trying to allocate the memory.

-erik