Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Who stay focused? (was: [Fwd: Question])

From: Jean-Denis Gorin <jdgorin () computer org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:22:25 +0200

Hi Paul

From: Paul D. Robertson
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:34 PM

[...]
Once again, I'd like to publicly state that if you want to see
interesting threads on the list, you have to de-lurk and
start some.  If nothing else, it'd change the Pix/Interesting
ratio...

So, I'll start a new one ;)

Why am I now a long time lurker? Mainly because I have quit the infosec field!

After 10 years in the infosec field, 5 years ago I decided to quit infosec and
came back to infosys architecture, my original field.
From early 90's to begin of 00's [0], I lived the raise of firewalls and DMZs...
and their doom: the eBusiness application model where Internet application where
only a front-end to internal infosys!

In those years, I concluded that there was no way to achieve a good security
awareness because people (IT people or users [1]) didn't (or didn't want to)
have a global view of IT or infosys.
And the marketing buzz words of that time were enought to convince people to
stay singleminded (and buy a 'lucky stone' firewall to protect themselves).

So, my question is: among all of you, old timer firewall wizards, how many stay
focused to infosec (and had kept a global view [2] of infosys) ?

For them willing to know why I'm still lurking FW-wiz as I have quit the field,
I'm just trying to assess how fast the IT world will collapse in case of a major
security threat... (I already know who will survive this, and how ;) ).

JDG

[0] Not Y2K compliant, so what?!?
[1] Or 'lusers' for the BOFH fans ;)
[2] Global, but not unfocused!
--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philipp K. Dick