Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Who stay focused?

From: Jean-Denis Gorin <jdgorin () computer org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:20:23 +0200

From: ArkanoiD, April 16 2009 6:09 PM

Well, i am one of the old-timers (yes, if you started as
security professional in mid-90s this counts as old-timer now)
and i am still here.

That's also how I define old-timers ;)

Have you noticed those? Those guys who started in early 2000s
and who are *experienced professionals* now?
They are not visionaries, nor scientists (not am i, though),
they are not bright minds either. [SNIP] And they are always
welcome in the corporate world.

They sound like a lot of  "Senior Security Consultant" I know (sadly)...

So i am just a loser

No. You are not: you have kept the right state of mind to perform
sucessfull security.

I just tried to do something to make this crazy world a little
bit sane. And i failed epically.

I was just like you. Like a lot of other old-timers I know...
Then, I decide to quit the field, trying another way: infosys
architecture seasoned with security (security from the start).
It's a slow process, but sometime it's worked. And then I'm
proud to deliver a system I know to be resilient.

That's not because the world finally learned to leasten,
that's just because everything other fails too obviously
even for this insane world.

And that world will stay insane until the "big crash".
I confess, some days I pray for the coming of the "big crash" so
security practionners can be listen to. But, morons are still
too many! Look at what happened after 9/11: do they develop
counter-terrorism intelligence? Of course not! They just
put some regulations to forbidden any ways to harm a plane (the
liquid ban is one of the more stupid one)

JDG

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't
go away." Philipp K. Dick"