Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCADA

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:19:41 -0500

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Daniel E. Hassler
<hassler () speakeasy net> wrote:
OK - I expected this. As I stated I was/am not trolling. Heck - check the
email headers - This noise is coming from Thunderbird on a WinXP Pro system.
I don't expect this system is secure even with two different firewalls and
an AV software product installed. Marcus - I've really enjoy your
works/writings/postings and sincerely did not mean any offense.  I've read
over and over about SCADA security issues but find practically nothing on
the market to effectively address them. We can write a lot on the Firewall
Wizards list about the woes of mixing today's connected business needs with
yesterdays isolation is a form of security. My basic question is why aren't
those who have a clue creating solutions to meet the business needs?  This
is where I think our time is better spent (and the.the $$$ are). If I can
rephrase my original question it would be more like: "I think we can do
better, If we build it will they come?"

Thanks,

Dan Hassler

That's what gets us in trouble, IMO. We start looking for a device
that's going to do our job. Simply stated, just leave the SCADA
network where it belongs - by itself - and you'll be fine. Mess with
that architecture, as Marcus said, and you're CREATING the problem.

There are ways to provide for business reporting needs - but the SCADA
network is still mostly left alone. It does NOT involve remote access,
however.