Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: msgtag read receipts

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:22:45 -0400 (EDT)

"Ken Fox" <kenfox () starlinx com> wrote:

Hi all -

Basically it embeds a picture in the message
that confirms being read by virtue of being accessed. I tried blocking the
parent IP in my perimeter firewall but the image still renders, and the
website will as well. obviously blocking all html in messages would be
effective, but there's enough useful material coming in in that form that
makes the cure worse than the disease ...
[snip]

It's just a URL.  If you're going to render HTML in your email client I
guess you're just going to have to live with the abuses that enables.

Personally, I discard HTML email unread.

Jim
--
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/contact/scform.php>.