Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help With Risk Assessment

From: "kevin horvath" <kevin.horvath () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:34:14 -0400

This is a bit off topic you might want to try to look at NIST 800-53
rev 2 and fips 200, particularly the appendices of 800-53.

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:
I am looking for guidance on creating a matrix for a IT risk assessment.
 > I am using the methdology from NIST SP 800-30 and am looking for specific
 line items to add to the matrix.  Any help or
 > pointers you can provide are appreciated in advance.  While looking for
 something complete I am not necessarily looking
 > for exhaustive (but can pare that down if need be).

 I think this is a little off-topic for fw-wiz, but I know it's hard to find
 lists to ask these questions to.  I defer to Paul as to whether or not he
 wants to let the thread keep going.

 If I were doing 800-30 and had a good inventory of systems and functions,
 but not a good idea of what the potential vulnerabilities were, I might take
 a look at something like the OCTAVE Catalog of Practices [1] (I don't know
 if NIST has something like this for 800-30, but OCTAVE and 800-30 are
 similar in that they are both risk assessment methodologies.) and work
 backwards from the applicable practices.  Essentially you're doing a gap
 analysis of your practices as a first step to the vulnerability analysis.
 It wouldn't be perfect, but it's much easier to put into survey form and
 collect data for.

 Hope that helps!

 PaulM

 [1] http://www.cert.org/archive/pdf/01tr020.pdf