Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web Services and Firewall/Network Architecture

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:36:41 -0400

Here's what I would do (assuming I understood you correctly):

1.  put your new web server inside your LAN
2.  set up your firewall to PAT/NAT from ExtInt:80,443 to web server:443
3.  on your web server, make sure only HTTP/SSL traffic is allowed--lock it down
4.  make sure your programmers understand about buffer overflows, input sanitation, and the difference between
whitelisting and blacklisting (i.e. secure by default)
5.  if you should be getting traffic from only one set of networks, you could lock down your firewall PAT/NAT rule a
bit, and lock down your web server host rules a bit

You'll need a certificate (you can self-generate one, or you can get one from Thawte or Verisign).  Make sure you apply
security patches in a timely manner (e.g. you could schedule 3am--4am every night for downtime/maintenance, and make
sure you use that downtime).

At this point you have covered network security, host security, and application security--to an ethically reasonable
degree.

--Patrick Darden