Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

easy way to scan for issues with path mtu discovery?

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:52:48 -0400

Hi all,

Does anyone know of an easy way to scan for issues with path mtu discovery along a hop path?  E.g. if you think someone
is black-holing along a route, or even on the endpoint host, could you use some obscure nmap flag to find out for sure,
and also to identify the offending hop/router/host?  What tool would you use to test for this, and how would you do
such a test?

Seems to me this happens often enough that someone has already figured it out, so I am trying not to reinvent the
wheel.  All I can think of would be to handcraft packets (which is laborious at best).  Google has not been kind to my
researches so far.

I appreciate any help!
--Patrick Darden