Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Sizing?

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:12:20 -0400

Paul,

This is an incredibly complex question, that I don't think has an easy answer.  Major factors (in *generally*
desdending order of importance):

1.  # concurrent sessions (this is more and more important the more your firewall does: layer 3, stateful, packet
inspection, app proxy, anti-malware, vpn endpoints, ssl endpoints, etc.)
2.  bandwidth.
3.  # rules.
4.  complexity of rules.
5.  depth of the firewall--e.g. is it just layer 3 or is it doing application proxying as well?  Does it also scan for
malware?  Even if it is only layer 3 is it stateful, is it doing packet inspection, is it doing protocol sanity
checking?
6.  is it doing encryption, e.g. a VPN endpoint.  3DES takes a lot more cpu than AES.  etc.
7.  you should match the hardware it is running on to the depth of the firewall; e.g. if you are doing app proxying,
virus checking, and stateful packet inspection, then you should have multiple CPUs.  If your rule base is large and
stateful, and/or you are using several services such as VPN and app proxy, then you will need more RAM.  Etc.
8.  is it doing a lot of routing as well?
9.  Is the hardware dedicated/accelerated in any way--e.g. using ASICS for ROSM, thus making extensive routing less of
an issue (e.g. for a WAN firewall with hundreds of networks attached).

My best advice to you is to get a unit and test it in a lab under worst case conditions (take what you have and double
it--# connections, # rules, etc.).  In lieu of that--over-purchase.  You don't want to do a major upgrade and then have
to do it again due to performance issues.

--p