Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: udp port 0

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:21:26 -0500

I think you are right. udp 0 is used variously as

        next available port (dynamic port assignment)for some Unices
        dos attack on early version of cp fw1

Officially, it is reserved under IANA as an unused port.

I would check the OS of the sending and receiving machines.  If they
are some flavor of Unix then you could content inspect for protocol
to see if the socket is legitimate.

--Patrick Darden