Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 (stealth) firewalls - PBR?

From: <lordchariot () embarqmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:12:01 -0400

If I were to speculate what the meaning of layer2 PBR is in this context,
this is what I would guess. I do this on my home router/firewall to
intercept port 80&443 and send it to a content filtering solution. It's
invisible to wireless network users.

# eth0=internet
# eth1= Wireless LAN (192.168.1.0/24)
# eth2=DMZ where content filter resides (192.168.2.0/24)
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j MARK
--set-mark 0x1000
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 443 -j MARK
--set-mark 0x1000
#
# 192.168.2.220=content filter
ip route flush table 100
ip route append 0.0.0.0/0 via 192.168.2.220 table 100
ip rule del pref 500
ip rule add pref 500 fwmark 1000 lookup 100

The filtering solution requires that the original source and destination IP
address remains intact, but the packets are forwarded to the MAC address of
the host 192.168.2.220.

Maybe this is what he means?
-erik