Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Testing

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:38:47 +0400

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 09:04:54AM -0700, Shahin Ansari wrote:

   Greetings-

       I have some questions regarding firewall testing:

   1-  Seems I am losing some syslog messages.  I have kiwi on a xp pc,
   and most of time it is running at 100% so I know it is running full
   speed, and it is overloaded. My Goal is to capture the critical
   messages, and I am thinking of rate-limiting the other categories
   which I do not care about in hope to see the more critical messages.
   Any other suggestions?

Switch to BSD system with syslog-ng?
Send critical messages via tcp, while letting non-critical ones flow via udp?