Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:13:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Chris Blask wrote:

technical and marketing aspects of such things.  It is
therefore also quite defensibly true what Bill said: <sic>
"That is on purpose".

This is the part I have serious troubles with- "on purpose" implies that
it was a pre-planned, thought-out event, not that you just didn't screw it
up by not doing anything[1].  The code bases _started out differently_ for
no reason other than the fact that the products were from different
companies, on two different platforms.  To paint that fact as if it were
some sort of strategic plan does the readers of this list a disservice.

PS - Paul R, my posts seem to again not be making the list,

The list is still moderated, it takes the moderator some time to get
through the queue...

Paul
[1]  From what I recall when Cisco was repeatedly trying to get me to buy
in to the fact that PIX should be on my list of approved firewalls at
Gannett, one of the points they kept trying to make was that PIX was
getting more IOS features to make it easier for folks to deal with a
single interface- so it would seem to me that even the keeping them apart
wasn't necessarily a planned event.