Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Best way to block incoming connections from open http proxy servers?

From: Christine Kronberg <seeker () shalla de>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 12:45:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Jerry Gardner wrote:
On 5/21/07, Chris Smith <csmith () 1pointe com> wrote:

 What's the recommended way to maintain a list of public, open http proxies
 and block them from making inbound connections to an http server with
 iptables?

That's a losing battle you're never going to win.

I may be in the minority here, but I strongly believe that accessing
inappropriate material in a work or educational setting is a social problem,
not a technical one.

   Chris was talking about _inbound_ traffic, not outbound. In his second
   post he gives a good reason for his quest. Yet, what has been said so
   far is true: You will always be behind in blocking.

   Anyway, there are some proxy lists like proxy.org/cgi_proxies.shtml.
   Or you extract the proxy/redirector part of url blacklist collections:
   http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/blacklists.tgz
   http://squidguard.shalla.de/shallalist.html
   http://cri.univ-tlse1.fr/documentations/cache/squidguard_en.html#contrib

   Cheers,