Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [OT?] Accounting from PIX Logs

From: "Security Guy" <security () sligoinc com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:50:29 -0400

Let me back up a second, I read your post and assumed you wanted deep
traffic analysis (source/destination/services/traffic amount,
netflow-type stuff). If that's the case, then the mirror port and
analysis box would be your best bet, as the PIX has pretty limited
capabilities for traffic accounting. There are thousands of free
analysis tools that can include IDS, packet inspection, etc that will
do deep analysis.

However, if you just want to look at general system logging analysis
(rather than analyzing your traffic), you should look at splunk
(www.splunk.com) to sift through the logs that the PIX is forwarding
to your syslog server.

Also, just googling, but here's a decent list of log analysis tools:
http://www.loganalysis.org/sections/parsing/application-specific/index.html

-Karl