Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall bake-off?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:20:11 -0700

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

This isn't intended as a bash at you, Kevin, because you're not the
one who raised PPS as a measure of firewall performance (I think it
was Carson) - but if someone starts talking about PPS as a firewall
benchmark, they may as well hold up a big sign that reads:
"I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT A FIREWALL DOES"

Yup, that was I. In my defense, I was evaluating firewalls for market
data traffic (among other things), where small packet rates and latency
were important features, as was packet loss behaviour under load. The
metric wasn't "which vendor is fastest", but rather "can we purchase a
big enough box such that the performance is > x, and how much does said
box cost?". Attempting to pry that data out of Checkpoint was next to
impossible, because it made them look bad. If anyone wants to know to
what lengths they went to weasel out of providing real performance data,
buy me a drink some time.

--
Carson