Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security policy language

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:30:35 -0500

Marco Cremonini wrote:
The problem is: We would like to implement/adopt a high-level
specification language for the definition of a security policy,
something that should let to specify the policy at organizational
level. Such a policy should then  be translated into specific fw rules.

Here's one question -- can you actually completely describe a
sensible policy in terms of just firewall rules?? My guess is
that to establish a fully worked policy you'll need to include
user-level specifications, authentication states, log actions to
take, encryption levels, and potentially even application-level
controls.

A typical statement that a fully worked policy might need to
implement could look like:
"Allow any users in group FOO to access data from
table BAR on host BLECH once they have authenticated
over an encrypted link."

I'm puzzled because it's not a new problem, but I can't find good
references. Several standards, especially in the XML-Web Services
area, have been proposed by W3C, OASIS etc., to define security
policies, but to me they seem quite useless in our case since I can't
see how and why Web Services should be integrated in this context.

I think that may be your problem. What happens is that trying
to fully specify a policy description language becomes a huge
plate of spaghetti. Eventually your policy description language
becomes, urrrr, C. So many people who approach the problem
try to approach it for a simple application: firewall rules or
XML or whatever. Even that is hard.

mjr.