Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX access-list help

From: "Fetch, Brandon" <bfetch () tpg com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:13:50 -0500

Easiest thing to remember is any communication is allowed from a higher
security interface to a lower security one (inside to outside, inside to
DMZ, DMZ to outside) unless explicitly prevented.

Next thing is to remember the application of ACLs is from the physical
interface's perspective.

You create an ACL and apply it either in or out of the interface.

Preventing packets from leaving that network, ie coming "in" to the
interface, are applied "access-group in interface blah".

To prevent packets from entering that network, ie going "out" to that
interface, are applied "access-group out interface blah".

Allowing packets from the Internet to a DMZ host requires two items:
A "static" configuration line mapping for the outside IP & port to the
internal IP & port.
A inbound ACL applied "in" on the outside interface.

In your particular case it sounds like a minor change of your ACL and
the application in the opposite direction on the DMZ interface would fix
the problem.

Some examples:
static (DMZ,outside) tcp 22.22.22.22 http 10.10.10.10 http netmask
255.255.255.255 0 0
static(DMZ, outside) tcp 22.22.22.23 smtp 10.10.10.11 smtp netmask
255.255.255.255 0 0
access-list inbound permit tcp any 22.22.22.22 eq http
access-list inbound permit tcp any 22.22.22.23 eq smtp
access-group inbound in interface outside
(allow web access to 22.22.22.22 & SMTP to .23 from the Internet)

access-list DMZ-to-inside permit tcp host 10.10.10.11 192.168.1.11 eq
smtp
access-group DMZ-to-inside in interface DMZ
(allow SMTP from DMZ-10.10.10.11 to inside-192.168.1.11)

To prevent outbound from the inside network to either Internet or DMZ
you can apply an ACL "out" on the inside interface.

access-list inside-out permit any any eq http
access-list inside-out permit any any eq 443
access-list inside-out permit any 192.168.1.11 eq smtp
access-group inside-out in interface inside
(This will only allow outbound HTTP/S & SMTP to either the Internet or
DMZ)

You can also help lock-down any packet leakage by applying an outbound
ACL to our outside interface to allow only what you want leaving your
network.

Remembering to do both sides of the firewall is a good security practice
overall.

HTH,
Brandon