Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Query: Why bother with an application proxy over stateful packet filtering?

From: william fitzgerald <wfitzgerald () tssg org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:36:00 +0100

Thanks Andy.

You've given me food for thought.

First point:

While agree with you view of controlling telnet or in appropriate
protocols across a firewall as compared with using a more fine grained
web proxy, i can still by pass the proxy via "httptunnel" for example.

So both proxy and firewall can be equally subverted internally via out
bound traffic to a rogue service listening on a http port.

Second Point:
also iptables could use its "string matching" to filter in appropriate
sites that match content keywords or even based on a black-hole list.

I guess I am still struggling to see any real benefits as of right now
apart from the obvious web caching abilities but thats not what this
discussion is about.

I will dig deeper, starting with Patrick Hausen's reading list (previous
 post reply) first and move from there.

regards,
Will.

PS: i drive a Mazda B2500 4X4. I too am interested in 4x4's also and I
plan on getting an old cheap jeep to enjoy some off-roading as a hobby.

Andy Cunningham wrote:
william fitzgerald nearly made me spill my Shiraz on 08/27/2007 03:05 PM
by writing: