Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help

From: "Utz, Ralph" <rutz () realtime-it com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:26:30 -0600

I haven't run your test, but I have delt with this problem on a
consulting basis in the past.  Here's some info: PIX 6.3.5 and below
block any DNS packet larger than 512 by default.  When EDNS forces a
packet larger than 512 the firewall will drop the packet.  In Windows
installations I've seen this cause the DNS service to hang and stop
responding to requests.  The PIX can be configured to allow larger DNS
packets.