Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations on modeler/change manger for PIX & FWSM

From: Aaron Smith <smitha () byui edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:10:18 -0700

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 08:16 -0800, Cary, Kim wrote:
Been watching the list with interest for about 6 months! Thanks for the good
discussion.

We have several PIX & FWSM (PIX Blades) our team is managing. We've been
using PDM (Cisco's Java tool for managing PIX) for distributed
administration, but we've been getting tired of its shortcomings in
documenting our rules. Also, we'd like to find something that handles change
management (reporting, maybe rollback or state snapshots)

A compilation of different open-source programs and scripts that may
help you:
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

and modeling (if
traffic from 'here' starts to go 'there' what does the firewall do).

There may not be such a beast (all-in-one) or it may be too expensive,

Nope--free as a bird.  Sorry I can't help with the modeling.  Good luck!

@@ron Smith <smitha () byui edu>
Network Operations
Brigham Young University Idaho