Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: False results to DMZ

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:33:10 -0500

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [fw-wiz] False results to DMZ

First off, the DMZ is setup with virtual interfaces (PIX), and the
scanning source is
inside. The firewall allows anything IP from this scanner. If I scan most
of the DMZ's, I
get normal results, with all of the scans.
Using NMAP, If I scan one specific DMZ, I only get results with the SYN
scan and TCP window
scans, AND it says every port is open (what the firewall allows). Cisco
support is not being > helpful. Does anyone have any idea why this is? It's
weird. Im trying to automate Nessus
against the DMZ servers, and its giving too many false positives about
open ports.
I have taken packet traces, and the only thing weird is that I am getting
an ACK back for
eveyr port, but they are Zero Window (TCP Window Scan brings back every
port open).
Any ideas?

Can you post a sanitized version of your PIX config?  Specifically I'm
wondering about sysopt proxy arp and static/global nat settings.  If you
scan with nmap -sT (full TCP connect() scan) do you get correct results?

PaulM