Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Why are developers choosing to...

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:40:00 -0500

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:30:46PM -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
More than likely a large number of sites are now being hosted on shared
systems where port 443 is already snared by another site.  Combine that
with the "I can test on a different port" and sprinkle on a little
obscurity and some level of lesser threat (especially the "worms won't hit
this" kind) and after you shake it all up, you kind of get what we have.

Hrrmph.  Easy enough to use a second, virtual IP address and a virtual
host using the virtual IP address, in Apache's 'httpd'.  Had someone
panic recently that their special app on port 7777 was not being allowed
through a firewall.  Turned out it was a Web app.  Grumble.

--
Joe Yao