Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Cisco FWSM failover secondary power failure - message 405001

From: BT <fw () i-t-s-s net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:28:04 +0100

Hello,

we have installed two 6513 Cisco Core switch with every switch one FWSM
in a LAN based failover configuration. The first days the system worked
fine but now there seems to be a power problem with the secondary. It
rebooted multiple times without a transparent reason.
During the reboots we saw also a traffic interuption of about 10
minutes, even though the first system seems to work fine. The secondary
FWSM will be exchanged the next days, but now we are searching the
reason for the interuptions. The interuptions happened multiple times on
one evening. In the log file we see every time the secondary boots this
message:

Feb  8 21:06:08 w.x.y.z Feb 08 2006 21:06:08 FWSM-1 :
%FWSM-4-405001: Received ARP request collision from
w.x.y.z/0013.c429.ab54 on interface inside

In older logfiles we don't see this message.

Does anyone know, if this is normal, that this message is send when the
secondary is rebooting? Can it be, that the defective secondary modul
sends packets (e.g. doubled IP-addresses), which disturb the MAC tables
of the switch, so that this interrupts the traffic?

Someone who has seen this before? Thanks for every hint ...
Regards,
Bernhard

John Madden wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to NOT permit users from the inside to
connect to a proxy server on the outside and bypassing
the Web filtering software ?

Thank you