Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: on-the-fly-analysis vs. proxy rewrites

From: Gabriele Buratti <gabriele.buratti () netasq com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 03:14:32 +0100

For packet stream analysis you can do on-the-fly for both ...
If you want, for example, to check for viruses in attachments, you HAVE TO use a proxy because the complete attachment needs to be saved somewhere, unzipped, mangled by the antivirus and possibly write a X-Antivirus:Checked header in the email. I'm not aware of products that can do this on-the-fly, but feel free to change my mind :)

        Gabriele

Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:
How about (tongue-in-cheek, sort-of):
On-the-fly analysis on the things you know about...
and proxy rewrites for the things you don't?