Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How does your firewall handle DNS messages > 512 octets?

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:37:31 +0400

nuqneH,

Well, mine does cache/proxy so there is no packet size restriction
per se..

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 03:13:34PM -0400, Dave Piscitello wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to understand how different firewalls behave when they
receive a UDP datagram containing a DNS message that uses EDNS0 (RFC
2671) to support message sizes greater than the 512 maximum specified in
RFC 1035 (original DNS).

Specifically,

- does your firewall block/silently discard such messages by default?
- do you know the command to allow the message if blocked by default?

I've found dozens of claims that firewalls don't handle EDNS0 correctly,
but after a long search, I've only found URLs indicating that Firewall-1
and Pix block by default and have workarounds.

I'm curious whether SonicWall, Netscreen, Symantec, etc. behave
similarly. I'd also be curious to learn the behavior of IPS devices and
DNS proxies (Watchguard, WinProxy, etc).