Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewalls that are also scalable and modular. . .

From: Holger Kipp <hk () alogis com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:00:16 +0200

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 06:02:58PM +0000, Jan Tietze wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:06:42 -0400, "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:
The only other firewall vendor I can think of that does (or at least
claims to do) load-balancing is Symantec Enterprise Firewall.  However,
you may also want to look at third-party load-balancing solutions like
Radware FireProof or Foundry ServerIron.

StoneSoft StoneGate has really neat clustering with dynamic re-distribution i
of load etc. They also used to do deliver load balancing solutions for
Checkpoint for a long time.

Maybe OpenBSD or FreeBSD is an option - depending on the requirements,
of course (pf is also part of FreeBSD):

http://redundancy.org/fbsd_lb.html
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html

Mind you, I have never used these setups myself (although I am
tempted to try). Currently we use a single firewall with
3 quad-DC-cards (and a backup-system as cold standby).

Depending on the applications (haven't read this thread)
separate load-balancers (eg for web applications) exist,
eg http://www.apsis.ch/pound/ (ymmv)

Regards,
Holger Kipp