Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX firewall licensing and beyond (newbie)

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:49:35 -0400

1. That depends on how much bandwidth you'll actually use and what you're
doing with the PIX.  If, for example, the actual pipe is a frac T3 burstable
to 45Mbps and your servers are going to pass primarily TCP traffic across
the PIX, a 515E is a fine choice.  Want to do large volume VPN tunnels or
use the full 100Mb link for sustained periods, you may be looking for
something bigger.

2. There's no more licensing for 3DES/AES.  Any PIX can get a key free from
Cisco, and anything you buy new should come with it.  The big choice you're
looking at is R-BUN vs. UR-BUN.  If you only need 2-3 interfaces, are just
sticking tens of servers behind it (and not an office full of users), and
don't need fail-over, then the R-BUN is perfect for you.  Otherwise, UR-BUN.

3. Nope.  PIX OS is PIX OS no matter the model. (unless it's 7.x)

4. Depends on the model, but the 515E comes with at least 2 ports but can be
configured for 3, 4, or 6 interfaces as well.  You buy either 1-port (1FE)
cards, or a 4-port card (4-FE).  Remember that 4 or 6 interfaces requires a
UR license.

5. I probably shouldn't give VAR/reseller names on-list.  But at the end of
the day, everybody that resells Cisco is subject to the same availability
issues and delivers the same products.  And if the only support you buy is
Cisco SmartNet, then you get all of your support from them also.  Shop on
price is my advice.  Or call Cisco.  If it's a big enough order (a handful
of 515E's won't qualify), they'll gladly hand over the lead to a channel
partner who's going to get stuck with a tiny margin because Cisco brought
them the lead and wants the sale.  This works especially well if it's a
scenario where the Cisco products are up against another competitor (like
Juniper or Symantec).  :-)

6. Cisco's website is actually pretty good as a support/reference resource.
Better than most.  Also, this list's archives.  And before you get too far
into your new firewall, I recommend:
http://www.enterastream.com/whitepapers/cisco/pix/pix-practical-guide.html

If nothing else it's a good introduction to the PIX paradigm, if you will.

PaulM