Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX assessment

From: Mike Meredith <mike.meredith () port ac uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:37:42 +0100

Hi

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:43:56 -0700, vulnerable wrote:
static statement permitting this.  However, this particular config is
declaring transparent static's that the documentation I've read says
is unnecessary.  Any reasons why they may be doing this?  I'm going

It's quite possibly somebody misunderstanding statics, but there is a
somewhat sensible reason for including apparently unnecessary statics. If
you're likely to include ACLs to allow traffic to the "inside", then having
the statics already in place saves making the obvious mistake of not adding
the relevant static when you add the ACL. Particularly useful if you end up
adding ACLs in a hurry.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security