Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: A fun smackdown...

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:08:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:

I suspect that using greylisting, honeytraps, teergrubes, and similiar
techniques can do a lot to help slow down the spread rates of malware
and spam.  That's one way of making an "allow all" rule less risky
than
the "deny all" rule might be.  Of course, you have to make sure your
honeytrap software is up to the task, which is not as easy as it might
seem.

I still don't see that as less risky.

Is it easier to defend against a known attack then against an unknown
one?

There's not a generic answer for that, it depends on the attack, the
defender's capability and the environment.

Computers are good at logging and keeping track of the statistics.  The

Yes, but they're not yet good at making up enough of a protocol to get
enough of a response to get a payload, automatically analyzing and
decrypting that payload, etc.  Though operational sites might not be too
interested in things that speak protocols they don't.

problem is understanding what all of the noise means and presenting it
to the user in a fashion which helps them make decisions.

Identifying the source of the noise is one way to gain potentially useful
information (i.e. "Is this a new worm, or just a polymorphic copy of one
I've seen before?")

Paul