Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Switch Redundancy for my firewall cluster

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 17:37:05 -0400

To answer your specific questions...

A1. See below.

  | sw1 | <-backplane-> | sw2 |
     ^                     ^
     |                     |
     v                     v
  | fw1 | <---sync----> | fw2 |
     ^                     ^
     |                     |
     v                     v
  | sw4 | <-backplane-> | sw4 |

Or if you don't want to backplane the two pairs of switches, you can cross
them over with 802.1q trunk ports.  Assign a VLAN for every subnet the
firewall has an interface on, and trunk that VLAN to the other switch in the
pair (in the diagram above, sw1 and sw2 would trunk VLANs to each other,
same as sw3 and sw4).

A2. Yes.
A3. 802.1q VLAN tagging and trunking, that's how. (see above)
A4. No.  Your firewall cluster can (if you buy the right licenses) do the
load balancing for you, if you require it.  Otherwise, you'll end up with a
fail-over configuration.  Doing L4+ load-balancing with the switches will
not get you load balancing through the firewall, only on either side of it.
The firewall would still be a choke point since the same cluster member
would be handling all traffic sent to the cluster addresses.

PaulM