Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Problem with Mac and PIX Firewall

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:40:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, slytle wrote:

I'm new to this list and have a strange problem. I tried this about 2
years ago and switched to Windows because I couldn't fix it, but
wanted top give it another try.

That's a heck of a reason to switch OS's!

I am trying to hook up a mac running OSX 10.3.9 to the DMZ on our PIX
Firewall. When I put in any internal 10. IP address, the Mac warns me
that this IP address is in use by another device with the MAC Address
of the firewall. It does this with multiple machines, multiple IP
addresses, and OS9. It does not happen with Windows. I'm totally
lost. Any ideas?

Run a sniffer like Ethereal and see what's happening.  Likely though, you
have something like proxy ARP set on the PIX and it's answering for any
address.

My Powerbook's been behind properly configured PIXen and worked just fine-
so I'd suspect the PIX config.

Paul