Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: SSH brute force attack

From: Mark Ness <noneinc () gte net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:38:50 -0700

I have seen lots of views on this subject, and if your security is good, the chances of any of these attacks getting in are minimal, but the possibility is there, and, since these are not customers viewing our home pages, but deliberate attempts at a login through ssh where they have no business trying to l login in the first place (many of them attempts at root) they are only interested in breaking in for whatever purpose, who knows. Maybe just for the challenge? Maybe to hijack your box? Maybe ID theft?
Brian Loe wrote:

Kind of risk losing customer access taking this route, don't you? For that
matter, shouldn't some security group focus on chasing down the criminals?
Curious on the group's take.