Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple firewalls from different manufactureres

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:23:53 -0600

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Shimon Silberschlag wrote:
In the past, I used to hear the recommendation that an internet facing
firewall setup should include at least 2 firewalls from different
manufacturers.

Going beyond that, layering distinct types of firewall (filter, proxy, IPS, etc)
running on different base operating systems (PIXOS, BSD, etc) further
reduces the likelihood of an attacker possessing "0 day" exploits against
the entire stack.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:04:28 -0500 (EST), Paul D. Robertson