Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX stateful failover and crossover cables

From: Jason Hamilton <Jason.Hamilton () InfoTechFL Com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:20:34 -0500

The documentation on Cisco's site shows that the statefull failover can
be set up in 3 different ways:

From the installation guide on failover off of the CCO--

<snip>
Step 6 If you are using Stateful Failover, use one of the following types
of connections, that is appropriate for your system, between the dedicated
interfaces on the PIX Firewall units:

•Cat 5 crossover cable directly connecting the Primary unit to the
Secondary unit.

•100BaseTX half-duplex hub using straight Cat 5 cables.

•100BaseTX full-duplex on a dedicated switch or dedicated VLAN of a switch
<pins>

Currently I have a system deployed with that configuration(cross-over cable)
and have seen no issues with the failover capabilities.

Your mileage may vary

Jason