Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application-level Attacks

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:27:13 -0500

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 04:15:05AM -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
| Adam Shostack wrote:
| >I think that older attacks were not application-layer from a business
| >perspective
|
| You're talking marketing. WTF is a "business perspective"??? I assume
| that means perception, not reality.

That means that what's important is the business impact of their
activities, not the technical route they took to achieve them.  If I
can cut cheques by walking into your lobby and picking up the
corporate checkbook and the rubber stamp for signing, or I need to
own a win98 box running access, or there's some real process in place,
the business question is "Can they send themselves my money?"

When the fellows who gave themselves $5m of Cisco stock options
executed their attack, where on the technical stack their bits were
(application?  presentation?) matters less than what they were
achieving with the attack.

| RCPT To: fishlips () whitehouse gov
| MAIL From: "| sed '1,/^$/d' | /bin/sh"
|
| is pretty damn application-layer, if I recall correctly. The layer is 7,
| the application is Sendmail 5. The shell, as they say, is root.

Yes it is.  And the business question is, is this a trophy-gathering
attack, or the Chinese gathering intel?  I believe that attacks
focused on making money are rising substantially, and that will change
the behavior of the attacker in important ways.  For example, they
will no longer deface your web pages, but add a second database
connection string to an app, and document it, so credit cards go to
'secure offsite storage.'  More attackers will spend time and money
generating 0day, and using it, making your traditional IDS less and
less effective.  SQL injection will be used to obtain the contents of
databases, and the contents will be sold, rather than posted as
trophies.

So, we've been hearing a lot of this from marketing departments for a
long time, but I believe that the rise of phishing as well as the sale
of zombies for DDOS and spam, are actually indicators that its
happening.

Adam