Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:29:15 -0600

On Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:51 AM mjr wrote:

I suppose the closest that'd come would be a social engineering
attack along the lines of:
       "Dear bozo () yourdomain com -
       We need to change the batteries in your authentication token,
       as part of annual maintenance. Please mail it in the included
       business reply envelope within the next 30 days if you wish to
have
       continued access. Include a $20 bill for the battery
replacement service
       and disposal of the old batteries. There will be a $100 late
fee if you
       take longer than 30 days to return your authentication token
for
       service.
               Thank you,
               The Security Department,
               Yourdomain.com"

And my guess is 10% of your average users would fall for it.

Interesting ploy, and likely plausible, but...

WWMS? (What Would Marcus Say?)
1) How do you define "average user?"
and
2) What scientific method did you use to back up your Gartner-esque
spewing of 10%?

Oh wait OK... at least you did say that was a guess... ;-)

mjr.