Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPNmadness gets more support;

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:05:10 -0000

That article reads like a lot of FUD IMHO.

According to the NTA Monitor article, the attacks centred around username enumeration, password hash capturing through use of Aggressive Mode and off-line password cracking.

I don't doubt that a badly configured VPN is insecure (use of the Null encryption algorithm springs to mind) and that statistics can claim how many are probably insecure, but I do think that the focus is incorrectly directed at the VPN technology and not at the users/admins/consultants/whoever.

Use certificates. Don't use Aggressive Mode. Patch the software. Don't spread FUD unless you have too. ;)

Kev

We asked about a year and a half ago <maybe two years ago even...>  a
number of folks on and off this list if our prediction that the use of
VPN's resulted in our suspected hypothoses that 75% or more of all the VPN
solutions in place actually did little or nothing to protect assests for
those employing them, well, the precentage we claimed at the time should
perhaps be boosted to 90%+ now eh:

February 01, vnunet.com - Virtual private networks (VPNs) are often the
weakest security link, study says. A three-year research project by
securityfirm NTA Monitor has concluded that nine out of 10 virtual private networks(VPNs) have exploitable vulnerabilities. Most of the companies that
had their VPNs tested as part of the project thought that they were
invulnerableto hackers, but researchers found the same types of flaw
repeated across the whole product range. The report stated that, in some
cases, VPNs were actually the weakest security link in an organization.
The most widespread flaw involved the hacking of user names. Other
vulnerabilities center around password cracking.
Report: http://www.nta-monitor.com/news/vpn-flaws/index.htm
Source: http://www.vnunet.com/news/1160912

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne